These last few weeks I have been not tuning in. I haven’t been able to make the time to do it. Which is sad. I’ve had sick kids. And with sick kids comes a myriad of other things. Like house work not getting done, lessons put on the back burner, basic house hold functions not existing. Even now that my kids aren’t sick I still feel like I’m playing catching up.
There are moments in life when we feel like we are on top of the world and all the things on our to-do list are checked off. But I feel, lately, like most of the time that doesn’t happen and I’m burning the candle at both ends.
In the last few weeks, I have learned that in order for me to feel even slightly put together and productive as a human being, mom, and wife, I need my quiet time in the morning. In my quiet time I do yoga, shower, read my scriptures, and if the kids are still asleep and I have time, I’ll spend a few minutes on my lesson. It’s time for me to tune in with me, myself, and God! Only in the last few days have I been able to enjoy that time again.
In the last few weeks, I have learned a few tricks to help me get a little me time in during the day, even if its just for 5 minutes. So, I thought I’d share those few things with you so you too can tune in with yourself on rough days.
- Movie Time: Sweet Pea’s favorite movie right now is The Secret Life of Pets. If I put that on I get the first 10-15 minutes alone and it’s quiet. Then periodically during the movie she’ll get needy and loud but then quiet down again.
- iPad Nanny: We have educational games and ‘mom approved’ shows that Little Man watches and it will keep him busy all day.
- Snack Time: If there is something in their mouth they can’t be too noisy right?
- Coloring: Sweet Pea is just getting into this but it has worked for like 5 minutes.
- Laying on the floor: This one may sound crazy but on one particularly rough day, I snuggled up in a blanket on the floor in my side and place Sweet Pea in the curve by my belly with a show on and she was perfectly content for an hour or so. I rested, breathed deep, and dozed off and one while she sat by me or crawl over and around me. I was still there and close by her but in my own world.
I’m learning to get my creative when my ideal me time doesn’t happen. I’d love to hear your ideas!! Comment below with what you do to give yourself me time on those rough day!