When I was younger I had this list of qualities that I want in my spouse. I don’t think I ever wrote them down anywhere but it I did, they are in a notebook in storage. Some of the qualities were:
- Returned Missionary
- Worthy Priesthood Holder
- Temple Worthy
Those are all the ones I remember. The important ones right? Then there were others things like:
- blue eyes
- clean shaven
The qualities that seemed important would change with each people that I liked. They all had similar qualities in common, but I did learn a lot about what qualities are really important when it comes to finding your eternal companion.
Religion is important, but I know several couples where one is LDS and the other isn’t, but is supportive. Somewhere down the line some of them have become converted. Being a returned missionary isn’t a must have or have to have in my mind. There are some that would argue with me on that and that’s their opinion. I’ll explain why in a minute. Looks, you may have your preference, but you’ll be surprised what you actually like when you let yourself just love a person for who they are instead of how they look.
Here are the qualities and personality traits of my husband and why I love, admire and am so grateful for him in my life!!
- Hard working!! When something needs to get done, he does it and does it well. I wouldn’t say he is a perfectionist, but he isn’t going to do something unless he can right or as close to right as he can get it. I have loved watching him work since before we were engaged. It’s not a quality you find much anymore.
- Service oriented!! I think this and hardworking going hand in hand. He sees a need and fills it. If someone needs something done he is the first to volunteer to help. He was like that with me when we were dating and he continues to be that way for me and others daily. He has taught our son to love helping!
- Tall/Dark/Handsome!! Ok, this one isn’t really that important, but who can say no to that?
- Scruffy-Lookin-Nerf-Herder (there you go Star Wars fans)!! I was obsessed with clean shaven faces before I met my husband. I hated the scruff and thought it was inappropriate. Why? I have no idea. Maybe it’s because growing up in the LDS church there is a slight stigma about beards. But I LOVE my mans beard. I love in the summer when it’s short and scruffy. I love in the winter when it’s long and soft. He hardly shaves to bare skin and when he does it’s a shock, but I love that too! So don’t be too biased!
- LDS! My husband is LDS but he wasn’t born/raised LDS. He is a convert to the church. He has an amazingly strong testimony and he loves the Lord with all his heart. I love watching him teach our children the gospel.
- He is NOT a Returned Missionary!! Because he is a convert to the church he did not serve a mission. There is nothing wrong with that. There is nothing wrong with a guy who was born/raised LDS who didn’t serve a mission either. A full time mission may not be for everyone. There are more ways to serve then you think. I strongly believe that serving a mission is between the individual and the Lord and no one else. So don’t judge!
- Temple Worthy!! My husband was and is temple worthy and we go as often as we can. I love sitting in the temple with him and getting a glimpse of what the next life will be like.
- Loving/Kind/Genuine/Honest!! He may not say it opening but he loves our kids more than I think he realizes. He may not like them when they don’t sleep 😉 but he loves them and I love that he does. I love watching him play with them. I love watching my husband teach out children about being kind. I love that with my husband, he doesn’t mess around. He is real.
- He goes with the flow!! I am NOT a go with the flow kind of person. I am a planner and scheduler and he is patient with me and has helped me to relax a little and go with the flow more.
There are so many more qualities that I love but this blog post would turn into a short story! He really is my better half and completes me and balances me out in every where. I was a very closed minded person when it came to what I thought I had to have in a spouse until Heavenly Father humbled me and brought my husband into my life.
Long story short, make a list of qualities you like, but don’t be so stubborn and hard fast as they can and may change when the right person comes along!